Divisional Cemetery
The Divisional cemetery, triangular in plan and largely by Cowlishaw, places a standard Lutyens‑type pavilion on the road axis and a Cross of Sacrifice in the far corner, enclosing wartime graves—including a collective gas‑attack grave—behind hedge and walls.
Description
The cemetery was constructed during the war. Row c contains the collective grave of 23 men who were killed by a German gas attack on Hill 60 on 5 May 1915.
The triangular piece of ground is bounded on the road- side by a hedge, and by a wall on the other sides. The entrance complies with the orthogonal direction of the pavilion and the majority of the graves. The bridge over the ditch in front of the entrance has now disappeared. The pavilion is of the same standard type that Lutyens and Cowlishaw applied at several cemeteries, such as Blauwepoort Farm Cemetery and Kemmel No. 1 French Cemetery. The Cross of Sacrifice stands in the furthest corner of the cemetery, along the axis of the pavilion.
According to the approval form, the cemetery was not visited by Lutyens, but was designed by Cowlishaw. However, Lutyens did ratify the design. (Geurst, 2010, p.276)
Bibliography
Geurst, J. (2010) Cemeteries of the Great War by Sir Edwin Lutyens. Rotterdam: 010 Publishers.
,


